Monday, April 9, 2012

The First 10 Years

Well folks, my 21st year of life is quickly approaching & I’m feeling pretty good about it. I do honestly feel like it hasn’t even been a year since I turned 20, but nonetheless, I do welcome this next year of my life with open arms.
In celebration, I thought I’d let you take a walk down memory lane: say hello to my first 10 years in birthday form! If the following parties & their commentary do not say enough about my fam & I, then I have failed greatly but am not too concerned. ENJOY!

1st Year: Rabbit Party




Yes, you've counted correctly: 3 cakes. And the one I'm eating in the picture above? Not even real icing. Cool whip! My parents were 'those people'. And my mom has designed, baked & decorated every cake I've ever had! Only had one store-bought cake my entire life--she is amazing.




2nd Year: Teddy Bear Picnic





Nothing too exciting here except for the fact that in looking through pics, I'm sporting two different outfits on the same day--no surprise here but there was, indeed, only one party.


3rd Year: Crayola Party




How amazing does my mom look here? So fab. Oh, & does that cake shape look familiar? You'll find a darker teddy bear in a similar stance in the cake the year before! We call that resourcefulness.



This picture is my most favorite picture of all the pictures in the world. It is an extremely accurate portrayal of how I have spent most of my life with my mother--my facial expression & that OPI Red fingernail pointed right at me. In case you can't tell by her body language (HAND), she's saying "Francesca...". And that seemed to be enough!


4th Year: Jasmine & Aladdin

Ice Capades anyone? This was the year Disney on Ice performed Aladdin at the Fairgrounds & of course my parents took me for my birthday! A fabulous party ensued.



I had the full Jasmine costume--complete with wig! But I cried the morning of my party because I didn't want to wear it, even though I begged my mom to buy it in the first place. She's held that $22.95 over my head ever since!


You can't tell from this angle but my dad attached fishing line to Aladdin's cape & attached it to a vase on the buffet table behind the cake to make it look like they were really flying on the magic carpet (duh). He might have enjoyed that more than I did.


5th Year: I'm a Barbie Girl...



One of my most favorite birthdays! While we were out to dinner before the party, my dog got into everyone's favor bags & ate all the candy. Oops! But, everyone still went home with a Barbie. Literally.

Also the year I got my first bicycle!


Excuse the almost-bare mid-drift & the fact that I'm wearing no pants. Excitement doesn't require clothes!


6th Year: Garden Party

Does anyone remember the Secret Garden Teahouse? This amazing place where you could dress up in any one of their incredible costumes, watch an amazing puppet show, & eat lunch all at the same time.


My BFF Hannah as a princess & me as a bride (go-figure). 15 years later, she's married & graduates soon! Love this sweet pic!



Little pre-party photo shoot with my American Girl doll at Woodward Park? (the ? indicates the confusion I'm having trying to understand this concept.)


I had 2 parties that year. The second one was at our house & I had a temperature of 103° F the entire time & was royally miserable (the picture above accurately portrays how I remember feeling!). My mom made an entire tea set as my birthday cake as well as individual cakes decorated as purple hydrangeas. She's as magnificent as she sounds & the reason I love parties. My parents have celebrated my brother & I well.


7th Year: Easter Birthday


My actual birthday was on Easter this year! Also the year I was baptized. Easter, baptism, & birthday all in one day--and my dad got to baptize me! Lots of amazing memories from this year. It stands out as one of my favs!


8th Year: Pajama Jam

Gahhhh I LOVED this year. The first of my TWO (in a row too!) American Girl Birthday Parties. They had these incredible party kits that you could order--maybe they still do--and they sent you everything from party favors to decorations to cups, plates, napkins, invites, party games, food suggestions & cake designs! They were amazing & the day the kits arrived in the mail, I opened every single box, reorganized every supply & did so every day until the party date arrived. I am not kidding.


It was supposed to be a slumber party, but our living situation at the time was hanging in the balance & I didn't really do slumber parties well. Too much responsibility on me to make sure everyone has a good time. I still have never had a slumber party b-day & I think I'm okay with it.


What's that you see? A purple daisy picture frame and...what?...what's that?...in my left hand?...YES. Stephen Curtis Chapman's For the Sake of the Call Album. The album was released 8 years earlier but that was irrelevant. The 90s were so good to me.


9th Year: 50s Sock Hop

My second & final American Girl birthday party complete with homemade poodle skirt! 




My parents went above & WAY beyond that year--they borrowed a friend's Classic Mustang Convertible & surprised us by taking us all for a ride around the neighborhood. We make no small plans in our house! 

Unfortunately, neither my mom nor I could locate any pictures of my 10th birthday. None whatsoever! So I apologize for the fact that I left you hanging with 9 years instead of an even 10, but I'm fairly convinced that my extemporaneous & possibly slightly irritating commentary made up for it & you're glad this post is over! 

Thanks for holding out this long!


No comments:

Post a Comment